Holy Innocents Church is a particularly fine example of a beautiful, ancient building in a tiny parish that has served the community for nearly 900 years. It is amongst the small number of buildings to receive a Grade 1 listing by English Heritage, which means that architecturally, structurally and historically it is of the highest quality.
The dedication to "Holy Innocents", the infants murdered by King Herod in the hopes of eliminating the baby Jesus, is one of only five in all England.
Although Lamarsh, (then known as Lamers), is mentioned several times in the Domesday Book (1086), there is no reference to a Church and it is probably only when the Manor of Lamarsh came into the hands of the Beauchamps, a Norman family loyal to King Stephen, that the building was constructed. Interestingly, the raised clay foundations differ markedly from the surrounding soil.
The church taken from the South side.
Chancel windows on the South side.
Web site hosted by Web Management UK